By Diane Norek Harrison
EDISON-Before being named Edison Township, it was called Raritan Township. This is from material when we knew it as Raritan Township. This township, formed from portions of Woodbridge and Piscataway townships on March 17, 1870, derives its name from the river that constitutes its southern boundary, and which took its title from the Indian tribe that dwelled in the hills and vales along its bank. The Indian word, Raritan, means “forked river,” and refers to the two streams that united to form it. The township is generally described as equal portions of Woodbridge, and Piscataway townships, bordering on the Raritan river, and extending back there from about three miles, the boundaries being: On the north by the Union county line, on the east by Woodbridge township, on the south by Raritan river, and on the west by Piscataway township. This territory has, therefore, practically the same history, in its earliest days, as the above-mentioned townships. The pioneer settlers were the Stelles, Martins, Campbell, Bonhams, Dunns, Dunhams, Edgars, Comptons, Tappens, Thornalls, Hamptons, Ackens, Laings, Kellys, Ayres, Freemans, Bloomfields, Paynes, Robins, Mundy, Carmans, Rowlans, Laforges and others.